Sunday, December 28

Video Game Design Between 1990-2008 and On…

I ran across a cool article which documents the graphical progress of video games over the past twenty years. I rest assured that all of my self-proclaimed geeky friends will find this as riveting as I did.

As you can see by my comment I was surprised that Donkey Kong didn't make the list. I feel that the SNES, and Donkey Kong in particular were huge steps in the graphical expectations for video games, and possibly the last great left-to-right platformer. I also felt like Goldeneye was a bit snubbed. I think this guy is coming from a somewhat biased pc / playstation perspective. Notice the comment above mine who's child was born on the 19th. Rule! Best Birthday in the world.

3 comments:

  1. I think they missed a few Star Wars games along the way. I think someone else posted something about games that were made by Lucas Arts not being on the list. DK was definitely a big step up in graphics for the time.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link that Jackson passed to me just a few minutes ago. I was too busy working to read it, but I will, and if you would like to, here it is

    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n01/lanc01_.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool article. Everything after '97 brought back some memories. However, I felt a lack of N64 inclusions (Super Mario 64 was epic at the time).

    ReplyDelete